patio door handle/lock replacement

A quick learner from BOISE, IDAHO says:
The rectangular hole in the door is about 1/2" wide by 7 1/4" and the old lock is broken. The handle slid up-sown to lock. I need a replacement handle and lock. The existing handle is like 82-020. Your suggestions please! The problem has been in getting a handle that covers up the large hole in the door. The old handle apparently moved up and down to lock the door but that is not necessary

Jim
A user submited photo of patio door handle
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jim. I agree with you in that the 82-020 Mortise Style handle Set resembles your own hardware. Its back plate measures approximately 7-3/8" tall and 1-1/8" wide, which seems like it will cover the hole in your door. How about the distance between installation hole centers? Does that measurement match up to your own? Do you think you can get the 82-020 to work?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Do you see the turn lever in the product image? Its "tail" fits into your door's mortise lock. When you turn it, the lock engages.

Take a look at this tutorial video on how to install the 82-032 handle set. While it's a different handle set than the 82-020, the turn lever works under the same principle. It should give you a clearer idea of how these handles lock.
A quick learner from Boise says:
It will cover the hole which is 7 1/8" tall. The guts presumably will fit inside the hole. So how does this thing lock the door?
A quick learner from Boise says:
My door frame does not have the hole. Is there a template or something so I know how to drill a hole for the lever to fit in??
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused--I thought there was a large hole the handle could fit over? Could you take a few pictures of where you would install the handle, just so I can have a better idea of what you're working with?
How to install the Swisco 82-032 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-032 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.