patio door lock

A home owner from Delaware says:
The lever on my patio door lock broke.
I do not know the door manufacturer.

When I tried to remove the internal lock, it fell inside the frame to the bottom!
(I should have looked at your video first!)
Do I need to remove the door & retrieve the lock that fell into the frame???

The opening in the slider part of the door is about 3 1/8" & the holes are about 3 7/8" apart.
The door frame part of the lock measures about 4 1/8" x 1/2" wide.

What replacement part should I buy??
Looking forward to your help!
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Here's the handle of the lock that broke/came off.
User submitted a photo of a patio door latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! Yes, you will have to remove your door in order to get your mortise lock back. You may want a hand person to come out and help you with that, as it can be a bit involved. As for the lever, it looks a lot like our 82-106. Check it out and see if you agree.
Many thanks for you reply & help. Yes, the lever looks exactly like mine. Unfortunately I have to report that the slider door could not be removed by lifting it up off the track. It appears that it can only be removed by removing the side frames & top frame & probably also removing the stationary window panel - a major undertaking.

So is it possible to buy a mortise lock based on the opening in the door & the lever? - one that goes with the other part of the lock on the door frame?
How about 82-223? or 82-243?

needless to say I'm a frustrated home owner right now....
Thanks.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hi, the 82-243 might work, take a look at the given measurements to see if it worth a try.
Profile view of 82-243
Profile view of 82-243

Also note, the 82-243 is the stainless steel version of the 82-218.
A professional from California says:
I tried sticking a powerful magnet to one of these locks. It stuck like glue. Here's an idea: Try spraying some silicone spray, or WD40 down the channel to slick it up, then stick a magnet to the lock. If you're lucky, the lock will slide up the channel to the opening. This may not work if the channel has a metal support inside, it may not work at all, but worth a shot. I have not tried this, but I plan to. Let me know if it works. It would have to be a strong magnet like the ones in speakers or hard drives.
The magnet is an interesting idea, but in the interim I got a new lock & it is the right size.
I looked at the video again, and I understand how to install the lock, but it does not show how to install the lever part???

So how is the lever installed?

Thanks.

Profile picture of Tom
Check out the video below to see how to install that type of thumb lever.
A quick learner from Az says:
1980s lever lock on sliding door. Note from photo latch connects from upper not lower side. Need replacement.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0556.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0555.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0558.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! This lock looks like it could be a match for either our 82-211 or 82-214B, depending on size. Review the measurements we show for each part to confirm the better match.

Alternate image for 82-211
Alternate image for 82-211
Dimensions for the 82-214B lock and its keeper
Dimensions for the 82-214B lock and its keeper

How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 82-069 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-069 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.