SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

patio door locks by itself

A handy person from Tucson, AZ says:
My mother has a large patio door and I have identified the door lock as a 82-211. It takes some effort to close the door and with any amount of abrupt stop, the lock engages by itself. Not so fun when you're on the outside.

There has also been difficulity unlocking the door. The lever seems to wander a bit instead of just pivoting. The lever barely reaches the plastic pivot in the lock mechanism and has deformed that pivot because of the shallow engagement.

I'm looking to replace the innards, but want to know a new unit won't self-lock like this one. What is supposed to prevent this?

I'm also thinking of replacing the pivot lever with 82-237 that will reach all the way through the lock mechanism. The patio door frame is 1" wide.

Thanks for any info.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. I don't believe that this mortise lock is supposed to be self locking. Perhaps the patio door rollers need to be adjusted or replaced. You may also want to try adjusting the strike on the jamb.
A handy person from Tucson, AZ says:
Thanks for the reply Dave. I don't think adjustments are the issue. I tested it with a block of wood in the track. Even with a mild closing of the door, inertia causes the latch to pivot down into the locked position when the door hits the stop.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the information. At this point, I think it might be best that we get pictures. I'd like to see the mortise lock, the inside and outside handle, and anything else you can show me with the door. Thanks!
A handy person from Phoenix says:
There is a small metal spring that has broken in your lock. I had the same issue. The only solution is to purchase a new one, unfortunately the options are limited. My second lock broke and it looks like I'll have to purchase another one. These are cheap junk that you will have to replace often if you want to keep your house safe and locked.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)