SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

patio door with improper lock

A quick learner from Blacklick says:
Hello, We have a patio door at my condo made by American Weather Seal (no longer in business) that doesn't lock properly. We have contacted someone about fixing it and they informed us that the part(s) can be ordered through your company. The parts in question are 85-035 (the handle) and 82-039 for the lock, although I was only able to see part #82-309 online. The problem with the door is that the lock isn't catching. You can lock it with the key but can still pull the door open even after it's supposedly locked. I was wondering if someone would be able to let me know which of the two parts I should order, or if I should order both. We do have someone that can install the replacement parts, but we wanted to make sure we have the correct parts. I was also wondering what the return policy is if we do end up ordering both parts and one isn't needed. Thank you, Leslie
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you may be having an issue with the inside mortise lock. When you turn the key in the 82-309, or the thumb lever in the 82-035, they interact with a mechanism inside the door called the mortise lock. This is the hook that actually pops out to keep the door shut and secure. Watch the video below for a brief tutorial on how these work. Keep in mind this video features only one type of mortise lock; there are many, many varieties.
One way to check to see if the mortise lock is the problem is to remove your handle set from the door entirely, then try to throw the mortise lock manually with a screwdriver. If you see that the hook isn't popping out, then the mortise lock will need to be replaced.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)