SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

patio slider rollers and track

A quick learner from Glen Mills, PA says:
I'm not sure what to order. My patio slider has one fixed stationary door and the other slides. The worn out track has 2 rails side by side about 1/8" apart. I haven't removed the door but it almost appears that the roller rides either on both rails or in between them. The width is about 71". Make any sense?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We may be able to help, but I'm not sure what the problem is. Does the door have trouble sliding, or is it simply a matter of having a worn track? Either way, it may be a good idea to replace the rollers. I will need to see a few pictures of them removed from the door in order to identify them. See the video below for information on how to do that.
As for the worn track, you could use a track cover like our 80-100 to help out. We have a video on that, as well.
A quick learner from GLEN MILLS PA says:
YES, THE TRACK IS WORN OUT AND HAS BUMPS IN IT. I'VE LOWERED THE ROLLERS AS FAR AS THEY'LL GO BECAUSE THE DOOR FRAME WAS ACTUATLLY DRAGGING ON THE TRACK BECAUSE IT'S WORN DOWN SO MUCH. i'M SURE THE TRACK COVER AND NEW ROLLERS WOULD WORK BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY I HAVE 2 TRACKS SO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER. MAYBE 1/8" APART AND BOTH ABSOLUTELY ARE UNDER THE ONE SLIDER. WHAT DO i DO??? COVER BOTH OF THEM? IS IT POSSIBLE I HAVE ROLLERS WITH 2 WHEELS SIDE BY SIDE? IS THAT POSSIBLE.
WOULD PHOTOS OF THE TRACK HELP?

THANKS, RICH
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I suppose it could be possibly, but I can't really be sure without more information. At this point I think our best bet would be to see both the track and the rollers.
A quick learner says:
i'll get pics of both and send them over
A quick learner from Glen Mills, PA says:
Hi Tom. As you requested, I'm sending a couple pics of my worn out and bumpy track. As you see, there's 2 rails side by side about 1/8" apart. I'm guessing only the 1 rail is used that's dead center of the door and the roller runs on that one alone. Do you think one of your rail cappers will work on this? If so, I'll remove the door and roller to get a look at what the rollers look like, snap a few pictures for you, and you can send me those too. Thanks, Rich
User submitted photos of a patio door track
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Yes, I think our 80-102 could work for this track. However, I'm still not sure what roller you have, and I think it would be a good idea to replace them. Let me know when you are able to get pictures of one removed from the door!
A quick learner from GLEN MILLS PA says:
Will do. I'll remove the rollers and take a couple phots of them. I'm just noticing that the track is really beat up pretty bad in a few sections causing the rails to look twice as wide as in non-worn areas. I'll send pics of that as well and you can let me know if the track caps will be ok or if I need the actual track itself as a replacement.

Thanks, Rich
A professional from California says:
I've only seen this door once, and if I remember correctly it had either 81-086 or 81-090.
Hard to believe such a tiny roller in such a large door.
I think the offset rail may be for a thermally broken version and a normal version of the same door.
The thermal break shifts everything a little to one side.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)