SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

84-509 pella adjustment screw is WAY too big

A quick learner says:
i ordered and received and adjustment screw for my pella screen door. it is WAY too long. i didn't see any other options available so i thought this was it. apparently not. it's 3 times longer than the one in there and the threads are also too wide. are there any other options?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear that our 84-509 Pella Screen Door Adjustment Screw didn't work for you. Can we see a picture of your original adjustment screw? Preferably side-by-side with the 84-509.
A quick learner says:
I've attached a pic. my original is a bit mangled now after trying to make it work. The other one is in, but the "head" is not there so i cannot pull the roller up. Now this side drops down too far with no adjustment in there.
A customer submitted photo of a Pella adjustment screw.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, and for the pictures! I see what you mean, the 84-509 Pella Adjustment screw seems far too big. However, part of me thinks that maybe your own screw has perhaps broken off of a larger piece, but I may think that only because it's mangled, as you said. I'm just not quite sure how a screw that small could have the same function as our own adjustment screw.

Could this be a piece broken off of a whole screw? Is there anything else in your door? Also, are you sure this is a Pella door? For a bit of reference, please take a look at our tutorial video, which details how to replace a Pella screen door roller. This video shows exactly how our 84-509 should be removed, and may grant you some insight for your own screw. Let me know!
A quick learner says:
I am 100% positive it is a Pella door. The rollers are an exact match and fit. The main difference from the video seems that the wood frame underneath the bottom of the screen is much thinner on mine. Your screw, if it fit, would stick way out of the hole when seated. The second screw is an exact match to this one. I think the small heads have broken off each, so they are not able to "pull" up the roller.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us! We are currently working on a couple possible replacement parts for you. I will post again in this thread as soon as I have more information available!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hello,
We just added two more Pella set screws on our site. Please see new SWISCO product codes 84-510 and 84-511. The 84-510 looks very close to your original screw, the threads are tighter and it is nylon like yours. Compare and let us know what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)