pella casement window cranks

A home owner from Lewes, DE says:
Our recently purchased home was built in 1971 and has the original Pella casement windows. The cranks all seem to be stripped and I can't seem to find working replacements. The part number on the crank is X-429.

Ideally we would be able to get "T" cranks so that we can close our plantation shutters without removing the shaft. Attached are two pix of the crank shaft and one of the part that the shaft fits into. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. You may need to replace the operators as a whole, if the spline is stripped. Could you open the window and show me a picture of its arms? There are a couple varieties of Pella operator and I want to confirm which you have.
Thanks for your response to my inquiry. Attached are two pics of the arm for the windows in question.
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
This picture is perfect, thanks! This looks like our 39-175 Pella casement window operator. The opposite side is our 39-176. Finally, for the "T" cranks, see our 39-227B. Let me know what you think of these suggestions.
Thanks for your quick response. The shafts on our casement window operators look to be in good shape, i.e. not stripped, it's the inside of the crank handle that I think is worn/stripped. I'm guessing that we wouldn't necessarily need to replace the entire operator. It might make sense to order a batch of 39-227B 'T' crank handles as long as they'll fit properly.

How tough is it to replace the window operator if things head off in that direction?

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. I'm sorry I misunderstood. Yes, if the handle hole is the only thing stripped, you should be able to get away by just replacing that.

As for replacing the entire operator, it's not too hard but it is a bit of a project. The trickiest part is removing the wood trim covering it. We have a video that shows how to do this; the operator featured in the video is different altogether, but the principle is the same.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.