SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

pgt window not staying up

A home owner from Lake Worth, FL says:
I believe our windows are pgt 700 aluminum non-tilt. One of them is not staying up. How do I know if I need to replace the balances or just to recharge them? What are the part numbers for the replacement balances and / or charging tool?
Thank you very much.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The only way to really know if your balances need to be charged is to just try it out. If you find yourself charging the balances and no tension is being gained no matter how many times you turn the spring, then it's likely shot and needs to be replaced.

Check out our 75-005 non-tilt charging tool. As for the balance, I'm not really sure what type you have. Check out our Spiral Balance Home Page and follow the steps shown to see what you need.
A home owner from Lake Worth, FL says:
Thanks for the reply and the information.

A couple other questions...the balances seem to be housed in white plastic sheaths that are labeled:

25-40 FC

Does that provide any more direction as to what type of balance I would need? Finally, are there step-by-step instructions for replacing the balances in a non-tilt PGT aluminum window? A video?

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. We think we've found something that could work as a replacement, but it will be a specially made balance. Before we can go any further though, how many will you need?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)