pivot bars keep breaing

A home owner from Colorado says:
Hi,
I have vertical vinyl windows. The pivot bars keep breaking, and the windows violently slams shut. This has happened a few times now, I've bought a bunch of replacement pivot bars and have replacement balances. I have a toddler, and my concern is that he might get hurt if the pivot bars break again and the window violently slams shut.

I would like to know i) why do the pivot bars keep breaking, and ii) a solution to have a safe window that will not slam shut, even if the pivot bars break again.

Thanks
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I don't recall ever using this kind of pivot bar with this kind of window balance. Are the window balances you show in the photo the original that came with the window, or are they more recent replacements?
A home owner from Lakewood, CO says:
These are the balances that were there when i bought the house 5 years ago, I don't know if they are the originals.
Profile picture of Paul
Hmm. Well, with that in mind, I'm not sure what the issue can be. I do see that you have an older version of our Series 795 channel balance. It could be that they're simply worn out, which would cause the windows to slam shut, breaking the pivot bars. This is just an educated guess, though.
A home owner from Lakewood, CO says:
Why would a worn out balance break the pivot bars? Can you elaborate more on that?
Profile picture of Paul
If the balances are worn, they wouldn't be able to hold the window up as well. If the window is closed with enough force, the pivot bars would slam against the sill. This is just a guess, of course. I honestly can't think of any other reason why they'd be breaking like you describe. Your entire setup is peculiar so I can only surmise.
A home owner says:
Can you direct my question to an engineer? And have that person reach out to me. I'm looking for a solid, technical answer so that I can make an informed decision of what to do next about my windows.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
We do not believe this is the original hardware, this could too be a reason why the pivot bars keep breaking. The pivot bar, 26-375, normally works with a pivot shoe like the 15-045, and the 15-045 pivot shoe works with a spiral balance. Now, the Series 795 balance normally takes a pivot bar like the 26-021.

Another note, the tilt latch says "raise sash 2" before tilting", this too is necessary to keep the tilt bar from snapping.
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.