SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

plastic guide in an andersen casement window

A quick learner from boston says:
I need to repair a couple of andersen casements. My question relates to parts other than the cranks. I know I need to replace the cranks with #39-146 (147). However I believe the cranks failed due to excess load caused by operating sash that doesn't move freely.

The plastic guides that travel in track on the sash are not moving smoothly. They bind and make it hard to start the motion closing a wide-open sash.

I also noticed that there's a lot of vertical play in the sash on its pivots. I don't see replacements for these other parts. Are they typically not replaced? I'm concerned about ordering cranks and then still having trouble with operation due to these other issues.
Use submitted pictures of Andersen window cranks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon, and thank you for posting. It sounds like you're looking for a replacement for the plastic guide in the casement hinge. Unfortunately, this guide is not sold separately. You'd have to replace the entire hinge. We also do not have an exact replacement for the Andersen brand casement window hinge.

That said, take a look at our 36-013-10. While not Andersen, many contractors have used this as a substitute and reported success. Do you think you can use this?
A quick learner from Boston says:
Please clarify your suggestion of 36-013-10.
Do you mean this hinge is compatible with 39-146/147?
Or should I replace the entire system with an alternative to Andersen?
Also, 36-013-10 says "sold in pairs". What does that mean? I need to replace hardware on two individual left hand crank casements.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The 36-013-10 hinge set was not made to be compatible with the 39-146 & 39-147, but we have had many contractors who have reported success using it as such.

"Sold in pairs" means that the 36-013-10 comes with two hinges, as a pair.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)