SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

pushbutton handle storm door latch

A quick learner from Sumpter, SC says:
I believe your storm door latch 40-145 would be an appropriate replacement for me. Is there a pushbutton handle for the outside of the door that works with this latch? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It really depends on what you have now. Could I see a few pictures of your existing hardware? That will help us narrow down the list of possible options.
A quick learner from Sumter, SC says:
These existing photos show a gerrymandered solution. The condition is 2 "french door" storms that meet in the center with no style or latch plate. The latch rests against the face of the adjacent fixed (slide bolted) storm door.

The photos show an existing (inappropriate) replacement latch that has a 3/4" setback from the face of the door to the latch. This photo is in the closed position showing 3 pieces of thick felt wedged between the face of the fixed door and the bottom of the latch.

I need a replacement latch that has a set back clearance of approximately 5/16" from the face of the door.
It looks like part 40-145 would work.
Is this model available with a "thumb lock" (not keyed)?
Is it available with a push button handle for the outside?
User submitted photos of a storm door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Ah, I see. The 40-145 is meant for handles that twist. I think the inside latch is more like our 40-117. This has the same hole spacing, is meant to work with push button handles, and even has an inside thumb lock. If you also want the outside, we carry a couple of complete kits you may be interested in. See our 40-034 and 40-152.
A quick learner from Sumter, SC says:
Yes, mine is like 40-117 (3/8" setback). I would like a new push button exterior handle, also. 40-034 looks like my present style but is it used with your 40-053 latch which has a deeper setback? 40-152 looks like it would be the 40-117 interior latch with a pull handle? Is there a 40-117 in a pushbutton kit? Thanks so much!
Profile picture of Dave
We do carry a white push button handle with the 40-117 inside latch. See our 40-026 lock set. To be honest, I installed the 40-152 on my storm door at home and I'm very happy with it over the push-button type, but that's just a matter of personal preference. The 40-152 also comes with the 40-117 inside latch.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)