SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement cranks for pella casements

A home owner from sleepy hollow ny says:
Am trying to replace window crank handles in multiple Pella casements which have new venetian blinds. I ordered t-crank replacements (made by C R Laurence) which fit on the spline, but the crank screw hangs out a full quarter inch.

Attached is a drawing which I hope will make my problem clear. Do you offer t-crank replacement handles for Pella, color copperite, that would solve this problem? Will your 39-227B fit so that the crank screw fits flush to the crank?
user uploaded diagram of pella handle and spline
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for submitting your diagram, very well done.

The Swisco 39-227B T-Crank Handle does indeed fit a 3/8" spline. Have you measured the diameter of your T-Crank to see if it's 3/8"? Also if you can, give us the length of the set screw so we can compare it to what we offer on the 39-227B.
A home owner says:
Thank you, Mike.

The T-crank appears to be 3/8" in diameter. The length of the spline is 3/4" to the operator cover. The T-crank fits on the spline.

The length of the set screw is 5/16." It seems that the way the T-crank fits on the spline does not allow the set screw to rest on the flat portion of the spline between the two rows of gears/grooves and therefore does not allow the screw to go all the way in.
Profile picture of Mike
Here's a quick shot we just took of the 39-227B, 39-314 and the 39-175 in use together.
swisco image of pella operator, cover and t-handle working together

The Pella T-Crank Handle (39-227B) worked very well with the Pella Sash Crank Operator (39-175). There was no problem attaching the handle to the operator, and it turned very smoothly once it was attached.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
A home owner says:
Will the set screw screw in further (flush with the t-crank handle?
Profile picture of Mike
That's about as far as I was able to get it in. Like I said earlier, although it's not quite "flush", it attaches very securely and works quite well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)