SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement entry door bottom seal

A quick learner from Groton, MA says:
My customer requires a replacement entry door bottom seal. I attempted to use 58-189 but it would not work. The center tabs on the bad seal two attaching tabs are spread apart slightly more than on 58-189 and they are a little higher and they had an angled edge on the outside top that hooked on the metal of the door.
Tried to find a manufacturer of the door but with no luck. Owner says builder got it from HD. House built in 2001.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Could you use our 58-176 door bottom? This just wraps around the underside of the door, so you don't need to worry about the spacing of the tabs or anything.

Here's another thought. Do you have a wood door? If so, you could just cut the tabs off of your 58-189 and just nail it to the bottom of the door. I did this with my door at home when I ran into a similar problem. However, this will of course only work for a wood door.
A professional from Groton says:
My customer does not want the look of a wrap around. The door is a steel clad (front + back) + does have a wood core. The bottom of the door wood core section is recessed slightly + I'm sure I could make adjustment to the door to receive 58-189 but don't understand why I can't find a replacement + save $ for my customer.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I understand your frustration. There are many kinds of door sweeps and every manufacturer seems to have a different idea on how the tabs should be spaced. There is no standard size and it's very difficult finding an exact match, especially when you consider that many of these manufacturers have been out of business for years or even decades. That's why I like the 58-176, it's a simple solution to a complex problem. However if your customer does not like its look then your only option may be to retrofit the 58-189.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)