SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement locks for windows

A home owner from Bolingbrook, IL says:
The locks on the windows of our home (built in 2001) are chipping and breaking. I can find no manufacturer's information on the windows. They are white with white grates between the two pane of glass. The bottom half slides up to open and tilts inward to clean the outside. The top half is stationary.

Two screws, an inch and a half apart, hold the locks in place.

I'm attaching photos of some of the locks. The first lock is fine. On the second, the paint is chipping. The third photo shows one that is broken beyond use.

If you are able to identify this hardware and can lead me in the purchase of replacement pieces, I would be most appreciative. We are in the process of selling our home and need to replace ASAP.

Thank you in advance,
Jacquie
User submitted photos of window locks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jacquie! Before I can recommend an appropriate replacement for you, though, can you first confirm that the screw-hole-centers are 1-1/2" apart? Usually, this style of window lock is around or above the 2" mark. Please double check and let me know!
A home owner from Bolingbrook says:
You are right...From window to computer I lost the right meansurement!! (Talk about embarrassing!!)
The screws are 2.5" from the center of one to the center of the other. For SURE this time!
Thanks for your efforts.
Jacquie
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! Don't worry, it happens to me all the time. I've quickly learned that a pen and notepad are essential tools of the trade.

Now, 2-1/2" hole spacing is pretty large. I'm not sure if we have anything that's quite that big. However, just eyeballing your lock, it looks somewhat similar to our 90-173 Window Lock & Keeper. Please compare its dimensions to your own hardware. Do you think this might be a closer fit?
A home owner from Bolingbrook, IL says:
Those do look the same! I will order some from the link you included.
Many thanks for your help!
Jacquie
A quick learner from Bolingbrook says:
Thank you for continuing to try to help us with the lock issue. Attached, please find a photo of the back piece for the lock we have (albeit a broken one) and the back piece for the lock replacements that don't quite fit. We appreciate your help.
Kind regards,
Jacquelyn
User submitted picture of window keeper.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for posting. We are still searching for a possible replacement, but so far have not had any luck. In the meantime, you may want to consider using something to lift the new keeper up to match the old one, perhaps a couple of washer.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)