SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement of spiral balance

A quick learner from philadelphia says:
I replaced the spiral balances in two of my windows and they are still not holding the window up properly. The spiral balances that I took out were red tip and I replaced them with a blue tip, which should be able to support more weight, but it didnt. Should I try the black tip?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, I don't recommend ordering heavier balances. It actually is possible to have a balance spring be too strong. It just sounds like the balances were not charged prior to installation. Did you watch our video on how to install this kind of hardware? If not, check it out. We show how to charge a balance before installation.
A quick learner from Philadelphia says:
Thank you for your reply. I did charge them before installing, I did have more luck with them holding the window up if it wasn't opened all the way first. If was only open half way then it would stay. Hopefully the new balances continue to keep the windows up.
Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Out of curiosity, how many times did you wind the spring? Sometimes if two or three turns doesn't do it, another two or three should.
A quick learner from Philadelphia says:
I did take them out again and charged them more. I was afraid of over charging them because they were so tight. They seem to be working at the moment, just not sure how long that will last.

Thank you!!!
Profile picture of Paul
Great! If you run into any other problems, let us know. Hopefully that should be enough, but if not we can work on another solution.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)