SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacement sash balancers

A home owner from Westford MA says:
Hello,

i have older windows -- house was built in 1974 -- and some windows are missing the sash balancers. These are double hung wooden windows with aluminum guides. I see no brand name on the windows. There are two photos attached.

Can you help me identify the correct replacement parts?

Thanks,
Frank
User submitted photo of window frame.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Frank, can you submit a few photos of a working balance so we can take a look?
A home owner from Westford says:
I'm not sure what you want a photo of. Is it the red plastic stop under the window itself? In the case of the window that isn't working there are just two holes. I'll try to get a photo of the underside of the window. But if that's not what you want please explain.

Thanks,
Frank
attached is a photo of the bottom of a window where the balance is working.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Frank
User submitted photo of the bottom of their window sash.
Profile picture of Paul
I am sorry, we do not have these types of window tracks. Visit a local mill work who is still making wood windows. You should be able to purchase a new set from them.
Ok.

But just to clarify -- I am looking for a sash balancer that would go into my existing wooden windows. I hope I don't need to replace the tracks. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank
Profile picture of Paul
Frank, see if the sashes are routed out enough to accept our Series 500 spiral balance, which you would use the bracket # 17-007.
Thanks Paul.

I found a carpenter who is work on my window right now -- he thinks he has a source for the balancers. If not I'll give him your information.

Frank
Hello again, Paul. I may want to order two of the series 500 spiral balances -- the routed opening appears to be 5/8ths of an inch. Question -- what should I measure to determine the length I need? The two carpenters I've had looking at this tell me the total length is 51" -- is that the length of the balance as well or is there another measurement I need to make?

Many Thanks,
Frank
One more question -- will I need any other parts to put these in?

Thx,
Frank
Profile picture of Paul
Frank, it appears you will need to use the Series 500 Spiral Balance. In order to determine the correct balance replacement length, please give us the approximate glass height of both top and bottom sash.

Along with the Series 500 balances, you will need bottom brackets, either 17-007 Bracket, #X54 or 17-012 Bracket, #32. You may also want to consider the 75-005 Charging Tool for Non-tilt Windows.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)