replacing a screen on a storm window

A home owner from near the Jersey Shore says:
Hi I have older storm windows that tilt out to clean. I removed the screen because it was literally coming apart. I live near the ocean and all of the windows are difficult to open and close because of the salt. I removed the screen and had it repaired. now I am trying to install it and I am having a hard time. It seem like it is just to wide. One side has clips that have a spring, one on top and one near the bottom to keep in place but I still am having a hard time getting it back in place. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sounds like you have a side loaded window screen. First, do you remember what side the springs where on when you removed the screen? If not, look at the side channels the screen goes in. The deeper channel will receive the springs.

Next, is the window on the first floor or upper floor? It is easier to install from the outside, but if you can't, remove both sashes to make it easier to install the screen.

To install the screen, grip the top and bottom screen rail place the spring side in the deep channel, swing the screen in and snap it in the opposite channel. Now lower the screen to the sill and reinstall your sashes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.