How do you replace the Pella Proline Sliding Door Lock?

A quick learner from Annapolis says:

How do you remove the lock stile to access the mechanism?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us! I'm afraid I'm not sure which lock in particular you're referring to. If possible, Can you take a few pictures of the part in question and upload them here for me to review? This will allow us to research a solution for you.

A quick learner from annapolis says:

Sorry

The door is a pella 450 or 750 series. I am trying to get to the locking mechanism which apparently to acess it, you need to remove a wood stile piece that the lock comes thru to meet the strike. The mechanism is a swisco mechanism part 82-247.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great, thanks for the updated information, and for your patience while we looked into it. I was able to get some solid instructions on how to remove a lock mechanism on this series door.

To replace this hardware, first you will need to remove both the handle and lock housing cover. The cover is attached to the panel stile with several screws, which are each driven below flush to avert interference with the lock housing cover. Each of these screws must be removed in order to free the housing from the lock stile.

Once they're off, the screws for the mortise should then be exposed. Simply remove the four screws holding the assembly in place and it should come right out. 

To install the new one, just reverse the process.

Hopefully this information helps, but please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

A quick learner from Wantage NJ says:
Trim piece. How do I access screws to get this off? Is white vinyl stuck on with adhesive covering wood? A return spring is shot in mechanism it seems so each time I need to close door fully I must use finger to push the catch piece down. It sucks. A simple spring broken or repairable? I want to take out to look at. I'm a locksmith from years past. Maybe an easy fix? Suggestions? I don't want to chew up door taking apart...
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 524FE282-362A-4ED1-A957-0EEC4FA9FA0A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2A9C5649-226B-41E8-A34E-94A4345393BB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 22444CC0-6498-4A67-A851-0F9685967B5D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2FBF9F69-5F82-4A22-8303-0D1682693325.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 31F5FB7F-118F-45FF-B57A-9518D6CA5BD0.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I've never personally dealt with this trim piece, but I've seen it from other customers a few times in the past. From what I've been told, you have to pry that tab off at the top and bottom near the opening. Just be careful not to pry with too much force; these are plastic and there is a risk that they'll break. You want to use firm, but careful, force.

A quick learner from Wantage NJ says:
Dave Sr.
Thanks for your reply. That smaller white trim piece around latch opening I did have out. It. Carefully pries out. It's there to just dress up the edge of the hole for the mortised latch assembly. When it's out you still can't see any way (screws) to remove latch assembly. (the 82-247 part) I guess I need to try prying off whole edge trim piece from the top down. Hopefully I won't crack it. It appears to maybe be held in place with adhesive but I'd hope not. Replacing whole door is not an option, (as per Tom's reply to another customer) that's ridiculous. I'll see what happens. Thanks again. Mike
A professional from ashland, ma says:
after you remove the handles and pop out the insert covering the internal lock, you now have to remove the white metal flange on the end of the of the door. beginning from the black rubber weather strip on the inside of the door, where it meets the white metal piece covering the end of the door, you gently pry that off with a small prybar or flathead screwdriver. youll have to work the whole way up as it is also snapped in on the outside. as you gently pry the inside loose from the groove, give it a few taps on the end of the door to loosen the outside catch. then you will see more of how it needs to be peeled off. after it is removed, the screws will be accessible to then remove and access the lock mechanism. the process to put it back together takes a few minutes. the end flange should snap right back into place, with some potential for slight rebending if needed.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.