SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

replacing the pella proline sliding door locking mechanism.

A quick learner from Annapolis says:
How do you remove the lock stile to access the mechanism?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I'm not totally familiar with this type of hardware. Can I see a few pictures of what you have? This will allow us to research a solution for you.
A quick learner from annapolis says:
Sorry
The door is a pella 450 or 750 series. I am trying to get to the locking mechanism which apparently to acess it, you need to remove a wood stile piece that the lock comes thru to meet the strike. The mechanism is a swisco mechanism part 82-247.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for your patience in this matter. To replace this hardware, first you will need to remove both the handle and lock housing cover. To remove the lock housing cover. The cover is attached to the panel stile with several screws. The screws are driven below flush to avert interference with the lock housing cover. All of these screws must be removed in order to free the housing from the lock stile.

Once that's off, the screws for the mortise should be exposed. Simply remove the four screws holding the assembly in place and it should come right out. To install the new one, just reverse the process.
A handy person from Alloway NJ says:
I have removed both the handle and lock housing cover. There are no screws visible for the mortise lock. It appears a stile or trim would have to be removed to access the screws. Possible even the glass itself. Is it possible the mortise lock is a permanent installation on my proline door and it is not servicable?
Profile picture of Tom
It is possible that there is a trim covering the screws in certain instances. When it comes to Pella hardware, they do not want to make it easy for you. They would rather you simply replace the door entirely, or send out for a service person to come and do it for you. We don't believe in this, of course, and we try our best to find ways around it, but in some cases it may be unavoidable.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)