SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sash channel spring balance

A handy person from san clemente CA says:
I wish to replace 1/2 inch by 25 inch sash balances on my vinyl windows. The only marking on my existing balances is the number 2420.

I need to know what replacement part to buy.
A customer submitted image of their channel balances.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 351 or our Series 390 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 351 uses the 15-002 while the Series 390 uses the 15-001. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-001 and 15-002
On the one dimension that differs between the two, I seem to be closer to the 15-001. With micrometers I get about 1.09 to 1.1 inches.

Re: my unit on the side with the broken cord, the bottom shoe had to be slightly forced and worked loose before the unit dropped down out of the window. Does this mean it should have been the 1 inch shoe rather than 1-1/8? How does this difference affect the operation?

What do you recommend?
Profile picture of Tom
If your shoe is over an inch, it's possible that it was once 1-1/8" and has worn down with time. That said, it's weird you had to force the balance out like you described.

It might be better to go with the larger shoe and see how it works. If you are having trouble, you can always grind it down a little until it's to size.
So I conclude I should order -
Series 390, 25 inch, and since the sash weighs 20.5 lbs stamp 2440.

Do you agree? Thx for your help!
Profile picture of Tom
I think that sounds pretty good!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)