SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sash is not raising high enough to install window a/c unit

A quick learner from Illinois says:
I live in a condo unit that has the vinyl tilt out windows. I am installing a window a/c unit in a window that will not raise up high enough for clearance of the a/c to pass thru. I am about 1 inch and & half to low for the a/c unit to pass thru, then secure to window sash. I removed the stops in the tracks,then I checked the tracks for debris or jams. It seems to stop where the spiral rods end. It will not raise past the rods. Its almost as if the rods are too long for the window track. Do you make a shorter rod that can replace the rod for adjustments? Or, what else can be done to remedy this problem? The tip of the spiral balancers are orange tip, 5/8 diameter,14 & 5/16ths long. It also appears that the sash has roller wheels in the grooves. How do you remove them from the track? Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
A vinyl tilt window is not designed to go all the to the top. I don't think a shorter balance would be what you want, either; when it's time to remove the air conditioner, the window sash will not come down to the bottom sill.

Try this, though. Tilt in and remove the bottom sash and then disconnect and remove the spiral balances. Reinstall the sash and have some one hold it up while you are installing the air conditioner. Once it's in, carefully lower the sash onto it. When season is over, remove the air conditioner and reinstall the balances.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)