SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sash pivot bar

A quick learner from Bridgewater, MA says:
I have a number of windows with the sash pivot bar rusted and broken both inside the pivot lock shoes and worse, inside the bottom of the window. I can not get the pivot bar out of the window or the pivot lock shoes. I think the replacement part numbers are 26-040 for the pivot bar, and 15-045 for the pivot lock shoes. How do I remove the rusted pivot bar from the window? Do I need to replace the whole window? The window size is 33-1/2" wide by 27-3/4 high. If I need to replace the window, how do I get it?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There are two methods that come to mind to remove a heavily corroded pivot bar. The first, and the one I recommend, is to soak the pivot bar in WD-40 for a few hours before trying to wriggle it out with pliers. The second, and the riskiest, is to use a heat gun or blow drier to warm up the sash, after which you would again try to wriggle the pivot bar out with pliers. I wouldn't recommend this second method as there is a risk of permanently warping the sash. I would only use it as an absolute last resort.
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. But I already tried WD-40 and there is absolutely nothing solid to grip with pliers.
Are those my only 2 options? I tried using the hole in the sash with a pointed tool to get into the threads of the pivot bar to wedge the bar out and that didn't work. (I didn't damage either hole yet)
Is it a lost cause? How and where would I get a replacement window if that is my only recourse?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The only other option is to go with the heating method. Use a heat gun or hair drier and heat the area where the pivot bar is installed. Since you can't pull out the pivot bar, knock it further in with a flat tip screw driver or another pivot bar. The sash is hollow so you should have plenty of room inside. Like Tom said, however, be very careful not to damage your sash. You may want the help of a handy person.

I don't believe you are going to be able to buy just the sash. You will need to replace the complete window, if you are not able to fix your sash.
Thank you for your last suggestion, it worked! I was able to push the rusted pivot bar farther into the sash and remove all the rusted, crumbled pieces.
I am ready to put in the new parts I ordered for the pivot bars and shoes.
Thank you very much for your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)