SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sash storm window lock

A quick learner from Pueblo, CO says:
I have a aluminum window which has a broken frame catch or lock(?). This is a spring-loaded white plastic part that captures the window in open positions and closed. The house was built in the early 1960's and are the original windows.
I have not found an exact image on your website and I wonder if you can match it from a photo and dimensions? It is around 1/2" x 4".
User submitted a photo of a screen latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon. I would start by looking at our 91-063 and 91-064. How well do these match your sample? I recommend measuring your part as accurately as you can to ensure that my suggestions match up.
I have measured my broken latch and compared it to the 91-063. Mine is 3 7/8" where yours is 4 1/8". I don't see that alone as a problem however I would need to know the other dimensions to be certain it will work. Please reply with the width and thickness of the 91-063. My part is W= 1/2" or 19/32" including the retention tabs and T= 1/4".

Another important dimension may be the Spring with Nylon Retainer: 91-003. Specifically the position the retainer is designed to be instlled in the window frame from the pointed end of the latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
In that case, I think our 91-054 finger latches might be better. The width and thickness measurements seem to be closer, and they can use the 91-003 spring and retainer.
Thank you, but I now see part 91-056 which has the exact features of my broken latch. This part was shown as an "item purchased by others" when I went to check the suggested part. Originally I should have sent a photo of my part removed from the window frame which should have worked quicker.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Oh, great! I hope that works out for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)