SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How is the finger pull installed in a screen?

A home owner from Baltimore says:
Can you show me a pix of the screen frame finger pull in a screen? Can't tell how to use it from product photo. I've got metal frame screens already made up and need to add finger pulls at bottom. Can these be added after screen has been made?

Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Hi Sue, the finger pull is held into the screen frame by the round foam screen spline. Before the screen mesh is installed into the screen frame, you would press the finger pulls into the screen frame and then you would install the screen mesh.

If the screen mesh is already installed you may be able to pull a little of it out and sneak in a finger pull but you will probably will find that you will have to pull out at least one side of the screen spline and screen mesh.

Here are two pictures of the similar 70-142 finger pull installed in a screen frame. Let me know if you need anymore information.
View of the <a href='http://www.swisco.com/Screen-Panel-Pull-Black/pd/Replacement-Pulls-For-Screen_Storm-Panels/70-142'>70-142</a> finger pull installed in a screen frame.
A home owner from Baltimore says:

Thank you for the complete info on the finger-frame pull. That was very helpful and it was very good of you to reply.

As my screens are already made and I don't relish pulling all that spline out, I think I'll look for an alternative.

Thank you again for the prompt and courteous assistance. I will recommend SWISCO to my friends and handyman (making and installing screens in an old house is quite the challenge and I wish I had known about SWISCO before I started my screen project! I will definitely check you out next time before I even think of another screen project.).

Sue J.
A home owner from Hattiesburg, MS says:
SO glad to find this website. the guys at LOWE's sent me here. I have to replace lots of these pulls in nineteen-year old screens. Do i have to remove ALL of the screen and the spline just to put these little dodads in?! Yikes. Does that mean i have to buy new spline? need to know before I order. THANK YOU. Marian
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
If you can, just try to pull out the spline in the spots where you need to install pulls. You should be able to reuse, but if its brittle then it might be a good idea to replace it entirely.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)