SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

side channel balance..

A quick learner from Crossville, Tennessee says:
I took out a window and there is only a channel balance on the left side?? I am assuming that there should be 2 of them, one on each side?
I have single hung gapco window, cerca 1987. Would that help in identifying the model number?? One top sash needs replacing. any tips on how to take out the top sash?
Is there any type of lubrication needed to make the windows slide up and down a little easier? I have cleaned the channels and waxed them with paste wax..that helped a little..
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, there should absolutely be two balances. You won't find a model number anywhere on the window or balance. This hardware is a little more complicated. I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.

Silicone spray can help things. We like to use that as lubrication as it does not attract dust and debris like oil does. As for removing the top sash, that's a tricky matter. Some top sashes are not made to come out. If you'd like, you can take a picture of it and we can try to recommend a solution.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)