SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

single hung window with balancers

A quick learner from Oregon says:
My windows are 30 year old Milgard Windows. The window I need help with is a window with fixed glass at the top and a slider at the bottom. The slider moves up and down. One spring is broken. The 3/8" dia. tube is 18" long and the plastic tip before the spiral is white.

Need help choosing and source balancers
A user submited photo of window spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I have a few questions for you concerning this balance. Is your window tilt or non-tilt? Also, what is the weight of your window sash? Finally, can we have a few extra pictures of the attachment at the end of your spiral? I can't get a good look at it from the pictures provided.
A quick learner from oregon says:
The window is non-tilt and 16" x 20" (approximately 5 lbs?). I have attached another picture of the end of the spiral. It is an aluminum frame window Thanks for your help!
A user submited photo of tilt window spiral attachment
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. That picture makes things much clearer! However, can you please get the exact weight? It's an important part in the process of identifying spiral balances. If your weight is too heavy or too light, the balance may not operate correctly. Please remove the window sash and place it on a common bathroom scale.
A quick learner from Oregon says:
Thanks! Checked the window and it weighs 10 lbs.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. Now, it looks like you have our S900-18 spiral balance. I recommend choosing a red tip, which could carry a sash weight range of 6 through and including 16 pounds.

You also appear to have the 15-142 balance shoe attached. This will require your balance to be custom made. To begin, please take a look at this Custom Spiral Balance Order Form that I have started for you and fill out the rest of the information. Afterwards, one of our representatives will contact you with the next step!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)