SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sliding barn door hardware - closing the clearance gap

A home owner from Albemarle, NC says:
I am in the process of purchasing barn door hardware and will be installing doors on this hardware. Best my contractor and I can guess - I will have 1/2" gap when the doors are closed (or pulled together.) The space has to be there to allow for clearance as the door slides. I am wondering about purchasing a pile or brush weatherstripping - something with adhestive and I was thinking the brush or pile would allow easy sliding. Have you helped anyone with this problem before? Barn door hardware is being used often now, so hopefully you have a solution for me.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Two types of weatherseal come to mind: the first is our 58-085 commercial door weather stripping with an aluminum base, which you can screw onto the door. I measured the total height of the base and wool pile and it comes close to 1/2" tall. We also have a stick on foam type, the 58-180, which is 3/8" tall. See if either of these could work for your doors. We also carry many more in each seal's respective section. You could also consider going to a local company who service overhead garage doors. They might have something you can use.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)