SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

how do i remove my sliding door lock

A home owner from port charlotte says:
I need to replace the lock on my sliding door. Can not figure out how to remove. The door marking shows ESP of FLA and is installed in Kings Gate community (Port Charlotte fl in 2005). I have removed all screws but can not pull it out. will not slide up or down so there must be something holding in place???
Any help is appreciated.
Regards, Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Tom! I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what handle you have based on this information. Could you take a few pictures of your hardware and then upload them here for us to see? Thanks!
A home owner from Port Charlotte says:
Attached are 2 pictures of my lock 1- picture of good lock and 2- picture of lock that needs removed taken from side of door.
User submitted photos of a sliding glass door handle.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! That actually helps clear up a lot. I think you'll have to remove your handle before you can uninstall the mortise lock--it looks like it can't come out because the thumb latch that actually throws the mortise lock is still installed.

We have a couple tutorial videos you can look at that should clear things up for you. The first is how to uninstall a mortise lock, while the other is simply the best way of replacing this type of handle.
The mortise lock in the video looks like my lock but I can not get it out as shown. The handle has been removed and all screws but it will not slide up or down or move in and out so I can get it out. Is it possible there is some type bar behind the lock that needs to be removed from the bottom of the door before I can get the lock out???
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I don't think there's any kind of bar holding it in. I've never heard of something like that before. Without the screws or the handle holding the mortise lock in place, there's nothing left to do but hold it firmly with pliers and push it in about 1/8", then slide it up maybe 1/2" and remove it. If it is well and truly stuck, then unfortunately you may have to contact a local lock smith.
I finally was able to remove the lock but there is a bar behind the lock. I was able to force it out and hope I will be able to replace with little trouble. This all started when I broke the latch lock lever so now I need to replace both the lock and latch lever (handles are good) Looking at your site it appears your number 82-218 and 82-240 replacement parts will work and complete my project. Please confirm I am making the correct choice replacement parts. Regards
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You may want to consider our 82-243, since it looks like your original may have been stainless steel.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)