SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sliding door lock and MW handle

A handy person from Painesville, OH says:
My lock looks like 82-218 and the measurements match. It is from a glass sliding door with a wood frame marked MW on the handle. My handle is ok but is something available in a nickel satin finish if I wanted to replace the inside handle
User submitted photo of patio door handle and lock.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Did you take a look at the 82-034 Legacy Handle Set? It is available in Antique Silver, Satin Nickel and Solid Brass.

Also, the lock appears to be the Swisco 82-226 Mortise Lock.
A quick learner from Painesville, OH says:
Thanks- I promptly received the needed information and made my order- the legacy handle set with key lock 82-034 in satin-nickel and the 82-226 mortise lock. Printed the install directions and I'm ready to go once I receive the order. I noticed the original install had mortise lock "claw" installed down instead of up.
I received the legacy handle set with key lock, item 82-034, and the mortise lock, item 82-226. Everything looks good and is working well except the lock "blade" (flat metal piece with break off points) does not quite reach the slot to lock or unlock the door. The inside latch does work. I have two thoughts: preferred choice- install a longer blade if available or recess the exterior handle assembly to shorten the distance. Please advise me. Thanks
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately we do not have a longer blade available. However, that is definitely an option, if you can find a longer spindle that would work with the handle set.

The other option would be to recess the handle into the door. Although that process may be a little tricky.
Thanks. I think I will be able to modify a longer blade from an old lock to replace the shorter blade. If this does not work, I can rout a recess. Also, although the 1.5 inch machine bolts were long enough, I replaced them with 2 inch bolts for a more secure attachment.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good luck with the process.

Let us know how everything works out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)