SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sliding glass door roller assembly

A quick learner from Chesapeake Virginia says:
I can not find a replacement for the rollers on my sliding glass door.
Neither the door nor the rollers have any manufacturing information.

A description follows:
- 1-1/4 inch concave steel wheel with bearings- 5/8 inch wide.
- Brass colored, stamped carrier 1/2 inch wide with horizontal stiffening protrusion, front and back, over the single wheel.
- the slide track for the wheel axle leans toward the adjusting bolt
- the adjust bolt is at the center of the wheel axle when axle is at top
- the basic carrier is 1/2 inch wide; 2-1/4 wide at largest point.
- the carrier is 1-1/4 inches tall
- the carrier is radiused above the wheel. Other corners are square.
- the carrier has a single flat protrusion on the back side above the adjusting screw.

Any help would be apprecicated. Fred
User submitted photo of sliding glass door roller.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Fred, is this the entire roller? Is there a casing that goes with this? If so, we will need to see a photo of that as well.

This is all there is. Remove the adjusting screw and whiggle the assemble a bit and they both dropped right out.

The door paneling is on three sides of the assembly but that is fixed in place.

Thanks for your help.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at the 81-032 Sliding Door Roller.

However, I do believe you are only showing the inside portion of the roller housing. If you can locate the other part, please take a photo of it and upload it so we can take a look.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do appreciate your help. Over six hardware stores and God knows how many websites have been ZERO help.

The sliding glass door is in a rental property so it takes a while to get approval for access. I will start the process and get back with you.
Thanks for your help. The adjusting screw on the subject assembly comes right to the axle of the roller when the roller is up as far as possible.

The hole in the door to reach the adjusting screw is near the middle of the assembly. Unit 81-032 appears to be too high.

This is rapidly approaching the absurd. Why can't I just replace the axle and roller and retain the brass carriage? I've repacked the bearings but that would be a temporary fix as the balls in the bearings are worn down and are not balls in all cases.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Fred, I would suggest using the 81-224 Roller with the 81-303 or 81-304 Axles.

You are indeed a problem solver.

Parts number 1-224 and 81-304 seem to be for my roller and axle. They have been ordered. Order #315654.

Thanks for your help. You are worth your weight in gold ... or at least aluminum.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)