SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

sliding glass door sill track

A home owner from Bow, New Hampshire. says:
I have a recurring problem that I hope you can help me with. My house is approximately 45 years old. I have owned it for 20 years. We have 4 sets of glass sliders 7'-6" x 6'-6". Heavy doors. 100# plus. The runner on the sill track is 1/4" high and 1/8" wide. Top is rounded and stem is 1/16" wide approximately.

We have been using the 1/4" x 1/4" replacement cap over the years to repair when the tracks fail. The tracks, doors and rollers are remarkably in good shape but these tracks seem to need replacement all too often and it is a project to remove doors and replace.

I have tried using the SS caps but the tend to curl and come off the tracks. Plastic ones rip or curl or slide and crush at the ends. Have tried to use caulk to hold them down with limited success.

Is there something else I can do to make a more durable repair? Rollers look fine but can they be the culprit? Thanks in advance!

Even though the doors are old and aluminum when they work they are great doors and want to keep them going.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If the tracks are getting shredded then it sounds like your rollers very well may be the issue. Have they been replaced in the past? You could try to thoroughly clean and lubricate the rollers and track to make sure that they aren't getting hung up during operation, but if the rollers are particularly old then this is only a stopgap measure. I see no reason to replace the door, if it's in good condition, but it may be time for new rollers.
A professional from California says:
Cleaning and lubricating the rollers is a temporary fix at best. If you are going to the effort of removing and replacing the door, replace the wheels while it's out. When customers worry about the cost of the rollers I tell them that the real cost is getting someone out there to put in the knowledge and effort to have the right parts and really fix the problem. The rollers are a minor cost. Stocking hundreds (probably a thousand or more) of rollers is a major cost. Time, preparation and perspiration are the true value. I have capped many tracks and I have not had a single complaint about curling or bending (knock on wood). I always put on new rollers. Even good, old rollers are usually enough to eventually cause problems.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)