SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

snap-in glazing bead, hard to find

A landlord from Billings, MT says:
This measures 7/8" across, 13/16" wide on the open front bead part, and 5/16" where it goes into the frame. Cell phone quality pics, sorry.
User submitted photos of snap in glazing.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Take a look at our 55-164 and see if this is a match.
A contractor from Colorado says:
Guys, I've seen a couple of drawings and pictures from people who are looking for a profile that matches your 55-164, but is 7/8" wide at the base instead of 3/4". Do you have a model that is 7/8" wide at the base?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid the 55-164 is the closest match we have. Keep in mind that this kind of glazing is "springy." Look at the image below to see what I mean.
A SWISCO animated image of the 55-164's flexibility.
If your sample is old, it's possible that the "springiness" is worn a little. If that's the case, then the overall width for yours may be different than what it was when it was new. 3/4" isn't all that far from 7/8", and I think maybe that may be the case. Do you think you could still get it to work?
I think this item will work, however in my case I had 3 windows, the hail took out the right vertical and lower on all three. That said, I am replacing 50% of the beading, this is what it looks like when you match the narrower against the skinnier....So to make it look right, your would have to replace the snap-in 100%. But then it seems to me I had some trouble with the vertical section "staying in place" as it wasn't a very tight fit. Clear silicone? The other pic shows how easily the older can break when you try to slide another piece against it..lol. Thanks, Dave and Tom.
User submitted photos of snap in glazing.
Oh..I was able to find something similar to the 55-164 here it town. It is pictured in my above post, but failed to mention this previously. So, yes, 55-164 will work..if you replace all sides on the window and the fit MAY be a tad loose on the verticals. But this was just my experience, I am no window expert.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)