SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

1/2" OD spiral balance

A quick learner from St Louis says:
I need to replace both spiral balances - measurements are:
34.75 length, 1/2" OD, black tip.

Pivot shoes look and slide OK.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We will need more information before I can suggest a replacement. First, can you confirm the length and diameter of the tube? They don't make spiral balance tubes that are 1/2" in diameter. It should be either 3/8" or 5/8" (It may also measure 9/16", but that is considered 5/8" in the trade.).

Please also confirm whether your window is tilt or non-tilt. Finally, we will need the weight of the window sash. With this information in mind, we can recommend a good replacement.
A quick learner from St Louis, MO says:
Regarding your question, I remeasured and it would be closer to 9/16.

The height & width of each half of the window is 35x21.

The bottom window tilts in.

See pictures below. The spiral balance on the right, as you face the window, has no spring or tip showing like the one on the left side (see photos).

PS: I will also need the correct charging tool for tilt windows.

Thanks for your help,

Richard
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks, Richard. I recommend our Series 600 spiral balance. To determine the length, measure old balance's tube. From the size of sash, I estimated that it weighs about 10 pounds, but you may want to weigh it on a scale to be sure. If it is, choose the Red Tip option. The charging tool is our 75-006. Be sure to also check the right side of this page for some helpful videos.
A quick learner from St Louis says:
As you suggested, I remeasured the length of the old balance tube and it is 34&7/8" long.

The window weighs approx 20 lb - I weighed it on our bathroom scale.

What spiral balance would you recommend?

Thanks,

Richard
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. I recommend our S600-35 spiral balance with a Red Tip. The Red Tip option for this balance should comfortably hold up that weight.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)