SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral balance BLACK tip not shown

A home owner from middle river Maryland says:
3/8 DIAMETER, 25 " . WE HAVE black tips. I AM ORDERING THE RED. 900 - 25. I ordered some other items before , no problems. I am ordering these since I will be out of state for a week. Do you suspect any problems? I am re ordering 15-045 and part # 26-297. These are exact matches. I think your website is very well done. VERY easy to find what I need. order will be under this email address. I am ordering now.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, in fact there may be a problem. Black Tip spiral balances are meant to support heavy sashes of a specific weight. Red Tip balances might not be strong enough. What is the weight of your window sash? Two S900-29 spiral balances with Red Tip can support a window sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds. If your sash exceeds that weight, then the balances will be too weak and will not work in your window.
A quick learner from middle river maryland says:
OK. so where do we get ones with the black tips? I am away and cannot weigh the windows.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... I think for a 29" Series 900 balance, it would be best if we know the weights of the sashes, since there doesn't seem to be a Black Tip option. Red Tips can support 10 through 22 pounds and Green Tips can support 14 through 26 pounds. We could also custom make a balance with a Yellow Tip, which is the strongest tip for this balance, that can support 24 through 34 pounds.

You may also want to confirm the diameter of the outer tube to make sure it's not the thicker 5/8" Series 600 balance. These are very delicate systems and it's important that your information is as precise as possible.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)