SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral balances marked with number 2.

A contractor from Cooperstown, NY says:
Hello,

i am looking to replace some spiral balances from a double hung wood window. I have looked at the 500 series but i am unsure.

Thank you.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Yes, we think you can use our Series 500 spiral balance. We've been using this balance to replace hardware like yours for about a generation. You will also need a bracket at the bottom like our 17-007.
A quick learner from Cooperstown, NY says:
Hi Paul,

thank you for the info. Based on my photo I believe i will need 21 and 23 inch 500 series spiral balances with 17-007 brackets. Can you confirm length?

Thanks

James
Profile picture of Paul
Well, looking at your picture it seems the tape measurer ends at 23", but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Length is determined by measuring the outer tube by itself.
A quick learner from Cooperstown, NY says:
Hi Paul,

measurements are from the top of the tube. The upper and lower balances are different sizes. Just measuring the tube the upper looks to be 21" and lower would be 23".

Profile picture of Paul
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Many windows are designed with slightly different sized top sashes compared to the bottom sashes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)