spiral balances and shoes

A handy person from Minnesota says:
I have 5/8" spiral balances on double hung tilt out windows from 1996 of unknown brand. Balances measure 31.5" and 33.5 inches of the metal tube. There is also a 1/2" foam at the bottom of each metal tube part of the balance which brings the length of the balances to 32" and 34" when I include the rubber pad in the measurement. Do I measure these as 32" and 34" (including the rubber pad as part of the length measurement) for ordering? I assume I need the series 600 spiral balances. (Does it really matter if the ends are black or red?)

I also need at least one shoe (so far) and can't figure out which one is the correct one. Measurement (as close as I can measure while they're still in is
1-1/4" wide and 9/16" deep. I also need to know just how accurate these measurements need to be...just to be sure I get it right.

I also need every bit of information you have on how to adjust everything. I have 15 of these windows and need to figure out how ONE works correctly before I decide what needs to be replaced on the rest of them. I've never had double hung windows before, I've always had sliders or crank out. Will all of that information come with the parts?
spiral balances and shoes
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe that black piece is a match for our 26-139 single hole aligner. You don't need to buy a new one since they can be reused. For the The 5/8" diameter balances, see our Series 600 spiral balances. I would recommend a red tip in each instance. Finally, for the 1-1/4" x 9/16" pivot shoe, I would recommend our 15-121. As for adjusting your spirals, it's actually fairly easy. You will need our 75-006 charging tool. See the media guide below for more information.
A handy person from Minnesota says:
The 32" balances are for the top window that tilts and are currently black-tipped. The double hung tilt out windows are 68" by 32" so are really heavy. Do I still get the 600 series red tipped balances in 32" and 34" or should I get the 32" ones with a black tip?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... if you have some balances that are Red tipped and some that are Black, I think your best course of action would be to weigh your sashes on a scale to confirm their exact weight. We have a chart on the S600-32 and S600-34 store pages that tells you how much each option can support. It could be the original installers just put in whatever was on hand, but if you weigh your sash you will know with 100% certainty what option would be best.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.