SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral window balance

A contractor from Hamden ct says:
I am try to find Replacement for the spiral balance shown in the attached photos

Non tilting window

The over all lenght is 27 1/4 "

Diameter is 3/8 "

The lenght of bottom clip is 2 3/4" from center point of attachment on balance and is 3/8 wide

The lower section is a flexable coil and is 15 5/8 long the upper solid tube is 11 1/2" long
User submitted photos of a window balance.
A contractor from Hamden ct says:
This a wood double hung window
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, yes, this old thing. For wood sashes like what you have, we suggest the old stand by balance system that has been used by wood window manufacturers since the forties: our Series 500 non tilt balance with metal tube. For this specific instance, I recommend the S500-27. I also recommend either our 17-007 or 17-012 balance bracket. You might also want the charging tool 75-004 or 75-005 if you don't have one. See what you think.
A contractor from hamden says:
Great I will give a pair a try, which tip color would recommend as mine is white
A contractor from hamden says:
The s 500-27 has a dia of 5/8 my tube is 3/8???
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would recommend Red Tip, which I believe replaces White in this instance. Two S500-27 balances with Red Tips can carry a sash weight of 7 through 29 pounds. As for the diameter, you may just be measuring the inside part of the old balance. If you were to include the outer tube, it should be 5/8".
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)