SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral window balance

A landlord from Cleveland Ohio says:
We are replacing 45 year old balances. The tube is 9/16" in diameter and 27 1/4" long. The tip no longer has any color. The tube has a seam. The spiral balance bracket is 3 1/4" long, with two holes for securing to the sash and is attached to the spiral piece with a rivet. The sash weighs about 25 pounds
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Send us some pictures with this bracket and measurements. Pictures will help us specify which balance you will need.
A landlord from Cleveland Ohio says:
Here are the pictures.
Customer image of their spiral balance.
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at the series 500 non-tilt window spiral balance. Remeasure your tube (just measure the metal tube - not including the tip or spiral). If the tube does not measure on the inch (like 27" or 28"), report back here your exact measurement of the tube and the measurement of the inside spiral (you will need to remove the inside spiral to measure it). Take a look at the 17-007 bracket, I believe this is the bracket that will replace yours.
A landlord says:
The tube measures 27". I extended the spiral as far as it would go. I did not disassemble it. The exposed part of the spiral measures 27 1/4". When the spiral is fully pushed into the tube it extends one inch from the tube.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Then look at Series 500 for the 27" balance and the bracket #17-007.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)