SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral window balance - non-tilt window

A home owner from Surprise, AZ says:
I have 10 of these balances, all the same size. I cannot find the right item that has the same shoe at the bottom on the website. I included photos of the printing on the side of the balance, a close up of the shoe and the length, which looks like 29 inches. These look like 3/8 inch balances.

Thanks!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Looks like you have a 15-142 shoe at the end. We can make a balance for you with this shoe, but it will need to be custom made. Before we begin, can you tell me the weight of your sash? Can you also tell me how many you need?
A home owner from Surprise AZ says:
Thanks for the reply. I have 5 windows and need 10 of these balances. I will see about getting a weight of the sash. I dont have ready access to a scale and its too hot now to take the sash off for an extended period. I can tell you the sash size is 36 in by 30 in. Its an aluminim frame with double pane glass. The windows are about 13 years old if that helps.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks! Please let me know whenever you can get me the sash weight. Since these need to be custom made, it's important to know the exact sash weight. That way we can get you exactly what you need.
I finally had the opportunity to weigh the sashes. Two of the windows are slightly narrower and weigh 15.3 pounds each. The other 3 windows weigh 18.3 pounds each. Please let me know if there is any other information you need.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! That's perfect. I think our Red Tip will work for you across the board. Two balances with Red Tips can carry a sash weight of 10 through 22 pounds. I'll send you a custom order form for 10 of these.
Thanks for the quick response. I received the email with the custom order and the link works. I have one additional question. I see that there are a few different spiral balance charging tools listed on your website. I assume i will need one of these to properly install the balances. Can you let me know which is the right one to buy for the balances I will be ordering?
Profile picture of Tom
Sure thing! For this particular balance, I'd recommend our 75-005. Thanks again for ordering with us!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)