SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

spiral window balances

A quick learner from texas says:
Queries:
Looking to replace spiral sash balances in my windows. Window height just under 30". What length do I need ?

Current spirals have a metal hook at lower end which catches on bar at bottom of window - similar to your series 306 or 307. Is there any difference between these models except for the hook material -- i.e will either work ?

Current window at metal framed (non tilt) with no obvious way to remove window from frame. Assume I must snake new spiral assembly down into channel from top ??

Thanks Much
Joyce

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Joyce, you should be able to remove your window sash.

As far as your balance replacement, you will want to replace the balances with an exact replacement. Please send us photos of your balance and balance ends so we can take a look. Also, be sure to give us the color of your balance tip. And when measuring your spiral balance, please give us the length of the tube portion only.
Balance tube measurement.
A quick learner from Texas says:
The tube Length is 29" with a diameter of 3/8".
White bushing on the old balances.
Estimate window weight at 20 pounds.

Thanks
Joyce
User submitted photo of spiral balances.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for your patience, Joyce.

Take a look at the Swisco Series 306-29" Spiral Balance. It appears to be a good match. The only tip color option is red, but it should work well with your 20 lb. sash.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)