SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

ss replacement rollers

A home owner from west palm beach says:
Hello, we have model 81-046 rollers in our sliding door. We have a salt pool and we are on our 3rd set of steel and one nylon roller sets. I would like to use your ss roller the 81-241 in our door. My questions are does that come in a 1.5 size and the axel is just a 5/8 pin that is peened over on the end. what axel do I need for this wheel. Thanks Robert

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The wheel for the 81-046 is actually installed with a large rivet that acts as the axle. It might be to difficult to install a replacement wheel without some mechanical knowledge. Check your existing roller housing and see if the wheel is installed the same way. We can work from there.
A handy person from west palm beach says:
Dave, Thanks for your reply,I was able to drill out the peened end of the rivet. Do you have an axle that will work with your ss 81-241 or can I purchase it already installed?
Profile picture of Dave
Great! The axle that goes with our 81-241 is the 81-304. Take a look and see if you can get this to work in your roller.
A handy person from West Palm Beach says:
I received your ss rollers and axle today. Unfortunately your axle wouldn't work in my roller holder but I was able to crimp up the edges and drive the original ones out. I then replaced with your ss rollers and using a vise and a round head screw was able to expand the end to secure them, worked like a charm! I have enclosed some pics to better explain. Thanks for all your help.
User submitted photos of a roller.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Awesome! Very handy. I hope this helps other customers in the future.
A handy person from west palm says:
Just a followup, installed the new stainless steel rollers last night, the door slides so well I had to put a bumper on the end to keep it from slamming into the frame, and my wife thinks I am a genius, which is always a plus. Thanks again
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
You are a genius! This is such great information. Thank you so much for sharing with us!
A handy person from west palm beach says:
did this conversion three years ago door still smooth as silk, perfect fix for an ocean front sliding door. Thanks again Robert
Profile picture of Dave
Good to hear from you again, Robert. I'm happy to hear it's still in great condition!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)