SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

upgrade to heavier stamp option?

A quick learner from Melbourne, Florida says:
I purchased two 29" Series 390 Channel Balance
Product Code: S390-29 in 2009. They have been in the window since then. I recently looked at the balance because we have had a harder time closing the window. Turns out the track part has begun buckling. I know they have been in there for many years but should I go with the stamp option of 2840 instead of what was in there of 2830? I think I need a stronger metal.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The 2830 spring weight is for a sashes weighing 16 through 23 pounds, while the 2840 is for sashes weighing 23 through 28 pounds. If you move up to the stronger spring, you might have a harder time closing the sash or, when you unlock the sash, it will spring up. I highly recommend weighing your sash to determine the proper spring weight.
A quick learner from Melbourne, Florida says:
The metal part of the channel seems to be much thinner than the original ones that are on the other windows. Since the stamp option would not be a good idea to increase, do you have any ideas on the buckling of the metal?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Moving up to the next option may be what you need to do, but I'm not sure. You should weigh your sash on a scale to be sure. At the very least, it will narrow down the list of possible solutions.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)