SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

storm window holders

A home owner from New Jersey says:
I have a screen porch with 8 floor to ceiling storm windows for winter protection. They are aluminum framed with 11/16" aluminum and held in place by 10 sets (each) of small clip-on aluminum holders and clear plastic inserts that slip into a brass gromett located in the wood.
The small plastic pieces break occasionally or just fall out when removing the windows for summer. The parts always land in the grass.

I'm looking for replacements. The place that made the windows changed ownership. They told me the parts are obsolete but offered no help on an alternative. (Or finding some of these parts that might be out there.

Can you please help me identify the parts and let me know if ytou have an idea of how to get more or replace iwth something else.

I should mention that the storm windows are recessed about 3/4-1" into a surrounding wood frame. They are not flush. I don't want to install something that screws into the wood because the windows go in and out year after year. The wood would soon lose its ability to hold a screw tight.

I attached a photo (I hope) of the two pieces that fit on the frame.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
User submitted a photo of grille clips.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I'm having a hard time identifying these clips. Could I perhaps see a few pictures of how this clip fits in the frame of the window?
Here are some additional phots. Hope they will help. Trying to get close, so sorry the clip is a little out of focus.

Each window is held in place by a total of 10 clips.3 on each side, 2 top and 2 bottom.

The aluminum piece wraps around the window frame. The plastic piece slides in and is caught in a brass grommet in the wood.

The clips are great when in place but tend to spring off in Spring and Fall when we remove or install these storm windows.

I really appreciate your help.

If you need more photos or a drawing, let me know.
User submitted photos of grille clips.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the additional images. Unfortunately, we have been unable to find anything to replace this special clip set up.

I think you may want to consider our 70-215 as a possible substitute. You could also insert the screen into the cavity and measure the space from there to the exterior and then choose an offset clip like the 70-072. What do you think?
I am not sure I follow this.

Ok, the 70-215 would go on the outside, right? If so, every year they would have to be removed to get the windows off. The wood will soon lose any thread and the parts will be loose.

I definately don't understand how the offset clip would work. The screen is about 3/4" recessed from the surface when installed.

If I could reach the back of the window, the clip would be good but the back is a permanent frame with screening that is not removable.

Maybe you can help me understand this better.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
You are correct regarding the 70-215. As for the other type of clip, like our 70-072, you could turn it out of the way or, even a step further, install rivnuts and use unthreaded screws. Check out our video below on how to install rivnuts.
You would also need to install a stop so that the screen would not go back 3/4", which is pretty deep. I thought it looked more shallow in the images. You can use a couple 70-145 angle clips for this purpose.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)