SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

stuck certainteed vinyl window sash

A home owner says:
I am not to able remove my certainteed vinyl window sash from the frame. The pivot bar does not slide out of the balance shoe. Tried on other windows and same issue.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. First, make sure that you're raising the window a few inches before trying to tilt it in. Also, make sure you're tilting the sash in and twisting the sash to release the tilt bars from the pivot shoes.
A quick learner says:
I have opened the window to 6' and tilted the window to a 90 degree angle and attempt to lift the right up and out of the the balance shoe and nothing happens. If I try to force it up, the balance shoe moves up with the window sash. I have tried this on the upper sash and other windows and same story.
Profile picture of Paul
It sounds like the pivot shoes aren't locking in place when you tilt the sash in, though I'm not sure why. Is it possible to tilt in the sash and take a photo of the shoe with the tilt bar in it? Maybe that will give me some clue as to what the issue is.
A quick learner says:
Here are the pictures you requested. Hope it helps.
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
A home owner says:
Here is a better picture, thought I sent 2.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. Looks like you have a very old pivot shoe, one where the cam has an enclosed hole that the pivot bar fits into. This means you can't lift out the tilt bar like normal. You will need to raise the sash, tilt it in, then lift one side up. The goal is to twist the sash, which will allow the tilt bar from the lower side to come out. I know it's frustrating but that is just how these windows are designed. It will just take patience and perseverance.
A home owner says:
Does it matter which side is raised and which side is lower or it works either way?
A home owner says:
And do I risk breaking anything in this process?
Profile picture of Paul
Nope, it should work either way.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)