SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

stuck window sash

A quick learner from NJ says:
Hello: Quite a few of the lower window sashes in my house get stuck while being raised. Also, some of them drop down a little after being released and sit at certain positions (almost like a digital system rather than a analog continuous system). These vinyl single hung tilt window uses tube balances. Can I lubricate them or do I need to replace them?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That definitely sounds like a problem with the balances. If you have spiral balances, then you could use a charging tool like our 75-005 or 75-006 to give them more tension. You can also try lubricating with a silicone spray. If those options don't work, though, or if you have another type of balance, then they will need to be replaced.
A quick learner from NJ says:
Tom: Much appreciate the quick response with details on appropriate tools. Where would I apply the silicone spray/lube? Should I extend the spiral all the way out, spray and push it back? Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You should be able to find a silicone spray at any hardware store. We like that over oil because it doesn't attract dust. We actually recommend that for the tracks the balances ride in, though. If you want to apply lubricant to the inside spiral itself, use a dab of white grease.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)