swing door top plunger

A contractor from austin texas says:
I have several doors that are swing door going into baths and closets that have a ball with a spring underneath. I have attached a photo. some are missing.
A customer submitted photo of swing door plunger and spring.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not familiar with these parts. What is their operation? Can you send a photo of the complete housing? Thank you.
A contractor from austin texas says:
Here are some photos;

Closet photo 1 - top of jamb where the little ball strikes the plates and hold the door closed.

Closet photo 2 - top of door with threaded hole where spring drops down into it first, then ball, then threaded cap that holds it in place. Ball sticks up a little and catches the type of strike plate on header.

Please keep in mind that these are double swing doors. Not bi-pass or bi-fold but hinged swinging doors.

hope this helps - I really appreciate the help
A customer submitted photo of a bifold plunger operation.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hello,
Please see new SWISCO product number 10-053, Bullet Catch.
Compare the dimensions to the original and see if this the needed replacement.
A contractor from austin tx says:
The type of catch "bullet catch" is right, but I have a different design. I included some more photos and drawings. I really, really appreciate your help.
Profile picture of Casey
We have recently added SWISCO part number 10-057 Ball Catch with Strike. Do you think that this may work for you?
A home owner from Utah says:
I also have several ball catches that have come apart like the original picture. Can you tell me the thread size of the 10-057 collar that contains the spring and ball? I'm referring to the threads on the collar in the first picture of this thread. The threads on mine are approximately 11/16-16 and I'm hoping I can simply thread a 10-057 assembly into my existing press-in door housing as shown in the second picture of this thread.

Thanks
Profile picture of Casey
The 10-057 actually isn't threaded. It press-fits into the hole.
A handy person from Plano TX says:
I have what appears to be an identical design in my house. I have some where the screw-in piece no longer holds the ball. The 10-057 picture looks very similar. Is it possible to unscrew the inside piece (I use a quarter to press down the ball and engage the two slots in the top of the threaded piece). If this really is the same, it would be much easier to just unscrew the threaded part and discard the housing (since I already have the housing installed in all the doors).

Thanks
I actually took one out of stock to tried and remove the spring and ball. It is possible to remove the complete inside "guts," however that doesn't necessarily you can swap them out for the guts in your old part. You might not have the exact type we carry. You can try installing the new parts into your existing housing, but there is no guarantee it will fit yours.
A handy person from Plano TX says:
Thank you.

If the guts don't fit my housing, then I'll just have to replace the housing too. The chance for saving that effort is certainly worth trying.
Let me know if it works out! The information would definitely help other people in the future.
A handy person from Plano says:
Yes, it did work!

I think the housing was slightly cross-threaded as I had some difficulty getting the new piece to go in straight. I took the ball and spring out and tried just the brass threaded part, but even that took some trying before I go it. Once I knew that it really did fit, I was able to do so with the spring and ball in place.
Oh, great! Sometimes it just takes some experimentation. Let me know if you need anything else!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.