SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Looking for the much less bulky sliding door latch

A home owner from OCEANPORT, NJ says:
Our thumb latch broke and our contractor replaced it with a thumb latch that points up and to the right. The contractor threw the old latch away. THE ORIGINAL LATCH WAS A MUCH LESS BULKY AND POINTED DOWN.

If it helps, below is what is etched on the bottom of the pane of glass AS BEST AS I CAN READ IT:

TUF-FLEX 5/32" d
TEMPERD SAFETY GLASS
ANSI Z97.1 1975
SGCC 546
16CFR201-1.11

SGCC84.5

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what it is you have based on this information. It seems this information just pertains to the glass, not the door itself. Could I see a few pictures of the original thumb latch installed on your door? That will help us find a good replacement for it. Thanks!
A quick learner from Oceanport NJ says:
Tom: I am an idiot, my wife reminded me that we had an identical door in the house, so I took pictures of the latch hardware that I am looking for and the 2 pics are attached.......thanx for your help.....Tim
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect! This looks like an Andersen door based on these pictures. Andersen discontinued the older style of thumb latch that you currently have. I recommend you consider the newer style 82-043 and 82-316 as replacements.
A quick learner from OCEANPORT, NJ says:
Tom,
thanx for your help.The problem with the 82-043 is unlike the old unit, it faces up and swings to the right. This causes the thumb latch to hit the door jamb and not service correctly. The old one, as you see faced down. If you tell me the 82-043 and the 82-316 can be installed upside down, I will certainly order them. thanx again....tim
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 82-043 can actually turn in any direction. What matters is the key lock side. The 82-316 is for the left side and the 82-317 is for the right side. We have never had a customer try to install these parts upside down, so I am not sure if it is possible.
A quick learner from oceanport nj says:
tom:

thanx to all your help, i am about to order the 82-043 and the 82-316 from you. I am ordering the 82-316
because the lock is mounted on the outside of the door and as you look at the door from the outside the lock is on the left side. If this is all correct, I will go ahead with my order...Thanx again..Tim
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, handing for this lock is determined from the outside looking in and by which panel is operating.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)