SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

tilt Window Latch

A home owner from Washington DC says:
hello: I have the following latch in my windows, and they keep breaking. Can you please help identify? The one in the picture is the left side, and according to the patent number stamped on it, it seems like made by ashland hardware [SightLine flush tilt latch] , I have other neighbors willing to buy as well. Thanks,
User submitted photos of their tilt window latches.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
You threw me off for a second with the image with your ruler - I did not realize right away it was in mm. Anyways, the closest tilt latch we have in our catalog is the 26-243 & 26-244. The housing has the same patent number 5,139,291 (your picture of the patent number was faint, this is the correct number right?) - but this patent number may only be for the housing or the whole tilt system because we have another similar tilt latch with the same patent number.

Please measure your tilt latch and compare your measurements to the dimensions found on the large product picture. Let me know if you need any additional views or dimensions to help you make your decision.
hello, and thank you for the reply. Yes, the patent number is 5,139,291. I've checked the two items that you suggested, 26-243 & 26-244, but one thing does not match. The one I have is scalloped; I've attached better pictures below, can you please review the new pictures and suggest if 26-243 & 26-244 are still good? The difference between 26-243 & 26-244 one being right latch and the other left... correct? Thank you so much.
User submitted photos of their tilt latch.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
After taking a look at the new images (and a second look at the first ones), it appears you may be better off with the 26-263 and the 26-264 top tilt latches.

The width is a match, and the 11mm thickness looks to match the 3/8" of the 26-264 and 26-263.
A home owner from Alexandria, VA says:
Looks like I have the exact same clip...no identification I can find (other than same patent number) on the window for the maker, but the dimensions described above are the same.

I was more concerned with the groove (as shown in the bottom photo) where the latch slides in from the side of the window and clicks into place. The 26-263 doesn't appear to have that, which makes me want to go with the 26-243.

WashDC homeowner -- can you post a reply to tell me how you made out?

Thank you.
Hello: I have not ordered 26-263/264 yet. I've replaced these latches in the past, purchased at a local window/door hardware supply store, and they had given me latches that are designed without the groove, which fits and secures just as good as the original design. The groveless design has small retaining ears that catch on, and help retain the latch in place. You can barely see these ears on the upside down view, but they are there.
Thanks WDC. I'm making some minor repairs because we'll be putting our home on the market, so I went ahead and ordered 1 of each just in case as we're in a bit of a time crunch. I'll post my results here when the clips arrive, hopefully some time next week. Cheers
Just a quick update to say the clips arrived and the 26-243 is a spot-on match for my window. The scallop/straight edge issue is inconsequential and makes no difference in the operation. I didn't even bother to try the 26-263/264.

Be sure to order both a right and left to match the color as the new clip definitely looks new and my existing after about 11 years in the sunlight faded the original color.

Thanks Swisco, and thanks WDC homeowner for the pics and info you posted.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)