SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

tilt window latch

A handy person from Springfield VA says:
I think I have identified the tilt window latch 26-243. I need. The measurement match but one is 1/16 off. I see that you do measure to the 1/16 so I just need your assistance to confirm. The one measurements that appears a little off is the front view of 1/2 inch see my attachement
User submitted photos of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It's possible that this is the 26-243, however without seeing an undamaged "tooth" it would be hard for me to say for sure. Do you have an undamaged latch I could look at?
A handy person says:
Thanks for the quick response; you are leaps and bounds ahead of your competition!

I attached another photo. I can send a better one if this does not work; let me know.

What other latches, if not the 26-243, comes close in your opinion?

User submitted photos of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! We appreciate the praise.

These pictures help us considerably. I think you might want to consider our 26-298 & 26-299 Tilt Window Latches, instead. As you can see, they have a much sharper incline in the tooth than the 26-243, same as yours. Let me know what you think!
A quick learner says:
Again, thank you for the quick response and your time. A measurement I did not give you was the width which is 11/16 which matches with the 26-243. So I am still leaning towards the 26-243. I think I will just order them and try it. I will need five of the 26-243 and two of the left 26-244. Will I be able to return these if they do not fit?

I see what you mean on the tooth but again the width is 11/16 and I am not sure if the 3/4 will fit. Do you think the tooth will matter?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. That seems like a small enough difference in width, though depending on the slot in your sashes it could be enough for it not to work. The tooth of a tilt latch could be important, though that itself depends on how your jamb aligns with the sash.

As you can see, there are a lot of variables. That's why it's always best to replace your hardware with what was installed originally. While we have nothing that is exact, I still think that our 26-298 & 26-299 Tilt Latches are the closest match.
A quick learner says:
Tom, Paul

I now see now how the tooth matters. I will order your recommendation. This forum is a great tool!

Thank you both
Jim
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)