SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

track for my two 48 inch wide mirror doors

A home owner from Thousand Palms, CA says:
I bought a mirror doors thinking my old track would work, but it is made for light weight thin closet doors. My mirror doors are each 1 and 1/4 inch thick. The total length I need is 96 inches. I am wondering if the shipping of and eight foot long track would be too expensive, would it make sense to buy two 48 inch tracks and butt them together? Is the top rail necessary? I'm trying to save money.
User submitted photos of closet door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You could butt two smaller tracks together, but I'm not sure how much you would save on shipping. It would depend on what method you use during checkout. Keep in mind that in butting two smaller tracks together, you have to make sure they are lined up precisely so that the roller does not jump between them.

The top rail is necessary for the door to function, yes. If it's not damaged, though, I see no reason why you need to replace your old one.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)