SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

track on carpet?

A quick learner from USA says:
I recently carpeted my home, and I'm putting back my mirrored closet doors. I think your 23-24# series of roller tracks might be a good fit for me, but can I install the track on top of the carpet? How?

Under the track is tile with a concrete base. The carpet is berber.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think the best way would be to cut out a section of the rug and install a piece of 3/4" thick wood (like a 1x4) under the track. If you don't want to cut the rug back, you could consider putting a piece of 1/4" plywood under the track and on top of the rug. It would need to be the same width as the track.

You will need to drill into the concrete with a masonry drill bit and use a type of fastener to go into the concrete. To install the track directly on top of the rug without a good base could make the track wavy laying on the rug.

Also, before you do anything to the rug, contact your rug installer. You don't want to damage the rug accidentally and they might have a solution. They may even be happy to do the installation themselves. I would imagine that they have come across this before.
A professional from California says:
I learned the hard way: Never try to drill through Berber carpet. It runs like cheap stockings. Luckily it ran in a straight line under the track. Berber is probably flat enough for an aluminum track, but not for the thinner ones.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)